I spent hours at IKEA over the holidays trying to find an existing piece of furniture that could be easily modded to serve as a multiplane animation stand. A few trips in, I figured it out.
To make your very own multiplane animation rig from IKEA parts, you’ll need:
- One IKEA Bestå cabinet frame (product code: 602.459.62, color: black-brown, $35)
- Four (4) 22″ x 14 1/8″ IKEA Bestå glass shelves (product code: 602.955.32 — $5 per shelf)
Use product codes to order online, then specify your local store for pickup. Total cost w/4 glass planes: ~$60 incl. tax. Assemble it according to the package instructions, but leave off the top and back. 12F-friendly 22” x 14” work area. No camera mount — just place it under a tripod aimed down, or on top of any copy stand/downshooter. Use your light box / board as a bottom light. For lighting from the top / sides use IKEA clip-on gooseneck lamps ($20 each), cheap hardware store work lights, thrift store desk lamps (anything directional, with a neck), whatever fits your budget. Go make something!
Latest posts by Dave Merson Hess (see all)
- The One-Page Zine As Brainstorming Tool - January 3, 2018
- Build A Multiplane Animation Rig from IKEA Parts for Just $60 - February 23, 2019
- A $20 DIY Animation Light Box That Requires No Tools To Make - December 28, 2016